Get a copy of our recipe e-book here http://thevgncnr.co/2kQWuXa
INGREDIENTS FOR A 23cm (9 inch) PIE:
For the crust:
190g all-purpose/plain flour
40g icing sugar
100g dairy-free butter
30g soy milk
3g white vinegar
For the filling:
190g caster sugar (or other granulated sugar)
5g agar agar powder
190g dairy-free cream
320g almond milk
15g lemon zest, chopped
yellow food colouring
150g lemon juice
For the meringue topping:
110g aquafaba, cold (reduced from 160g)
2 tsp lemon juice, strained (10g)
130g caster sugar
– For the crust, blend the flour, the sugar and the butter to obtain a sort of breadcrumbs, combine the mixture with the vinegar and the soy milk, and knead briefly to obtain a dough.
– Wrap the dough in cling film, place it in the fridge and chill it for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
– Once the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 150°C (no fan).
– Roll down the dough into a 30cm (12 inches) disk of roughly 5mm (¼ inch) thickness, and use the disk to line a 23cm (9 inch) non-stick pie tin.
– Scrunch a piece of greaseproof paper under water and squeeze it to remove any excess moisture.
– Line the pie tin with the wet paper, add plenty of rock salt to it and use it as a weight for the blind baking process. This will prevent the dough from rising and moving.
– Bake the base in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, rotating it every 15 minutes to allow for even browning. Let it cool down completely, and remove salt.
– For the filling, mix a third of the sugar with the agar agar, and set aside.
– Mix the remaining sugar with the starch and the cream, and set aside.
– Place the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat, pour in sugar/agar mix and whisk to properly combine the ingredients.
– Add the zest, bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 3 min to hydrate the agar.
– Add food colouring to taste and stir again; we added the colouring in 6 times using the tip of a toothpick.
– Now, lower the heat to the minimum and pour in the cream/starch mixture. Bring the filling back to a boil stirring constantly, and as soon as it starts boiling again, turn off heat. Add in lemon juice and stir once more to complete the filling.
– Pour the filling in the precooked shell through a fine sieve to remove the zest, and let the pie set at room temperature for 30 minutes before placing it in the fridge for 3 hours to fully set.
– Whip the aquafaba and the lemon juice using a stand mixer at full power for 8 minutes, and then, gradually incorporate the sugar 1 tbsp at the time, making sure to wait 40 seconds between each addition.
– Once the sugar is finished, whip for another 4 minutes at full power before placing the meringue topping in a pastry bag and piping it onto the pie or onto the slices before serving.
– Torch the topping if desired, making sure to be careful and gentle because aquafaba does not coagulate, so it won’t react as egg whites would. A gentle torching and a little colour goes a long way to add a nice colour, and subtle caramel flavour to the pie.
Cooking Equipment US:
Chopping boards: http://www.therusticdish.com/
Wok Pan: http://amzn.to/2p5jdFB
Frying Pan: http://amzn.to/2oxW0IR
Santoku Knife: http://amzn.to/2pgAU1y
Chef’s Knife: http://amzn.to/2oGumM8
Utility Knife: http://amzn.to/2ohEG9l
Microplane Zester: http://amzn.to/2p6wo80
Silicone Spatula Small: http://amzn.to/2nON0lz
Silicone Spatula Large: http://amzn.to/2oybflb
Silicone Spatulas Set: http://amzn.to/2p5euDP
Silicone Deep Spoon Small: http://amzn.to/2p5eNyA
Silicone Deep Spoon Large: http://amzn.to/2pmEg3e
Kitchen Scale 1: http://amzn.to/2pmyHSq
Kitchen Scale 2: http://amzn.to/2oKvIW7
Precision Scale: http://amzn.to/2pmlMzQ
Cooking Equipment UK:
Pie tin: http://amzn.to/2quW4dl
Chopping boards: http://www.therusticdish.com/
Wok Pan: http://amzn.to/1jxu9nW
Frying Pan: http://amzn.to/1POXlA5
Santoku Knife: http://amzn.to/2nM2eYp
Chef’s Knife: http://amzn.to/2otIvdk
Utility Knife: http://amzn.to/2pCWUDr
Microplane Zester: http://amzn.to/2oz2s5W
Silicone Spatula Small: http://amzn.to/1m3o6Je
Silicone Spatula Large: http://amzn.to/2oejmlS
Silicone Deep Spoon Small: http://amzn.to/2oeb0Le
Silicone Deep Spoon Large: http://amzn.to/2pCZw4a
Kitchen Scale 1: http://amzn.to/1Ry1A9e
Kitchen Scale 2: http://amzn.to/2oe8V1M
Precision Scale: http://amzn.to/2piTvwY
CONNECT WITH US:
★Amazon Prime Series: http://thevgncnr.co/22CiNyR
★2nd Channel: http://thevgncnr.co/1YzzJVz
How Do I Choose a Supplement?
The Basic Supplements If you only want to supplement your diet with the absolute basics, this article is for you. Most Americans do not get their basic micro nutrient needs met by food intake alone. Supplements become necessary to fill this gap.The Importance Of Multivitamins And Antioxidant Supplements
In this day and age, we are spoilt for choices when it comes to health supplements. With a plethora of supplements available to us, it can be quite daunting to choose the ones that are not only useful to you but also value for your money. Two of the few beneficial supplements that are worth your dough are none other than the popular multivitamins and the antioxidants.CoQ10 – Brain Health and Stroke Prevention Latest Studies Show
Brain: The brain requires a large supply of energy due to it being one of the most metabolically active organs in the body. This is needed for the brain to function optimally. CoQ10 has been found to benefit the nervous system and protection from several types of diseases.Even With a Nutritious Diet, You May Be Deficient in These Supplements
Americans this year will spend over 40 billion dollars on supplements, meal replacements, and sport nutrition products, a number that will continue to rise. But do supplements really work?4 Supplements That Help You to Maintain Your Beauty or Stay Svelte
What do you think when we say “skin care”? You may think you always take good care of your skin with the help of exfoliants, moisturizers, and serums. Actually, if you want to maintain your beauty, you need to take care of your skin and change your lifestyle as well. With the right type of vitamins and nutrients, you can heal your skin. Therefore, we suggest that you try out some supplements. In this article, we are going to talk about 4 supplements can help you maintain your beauty or stay svelte.The Benefits of Supplements for Sports
Today, many products can be found in the shelves of supplement stores, such as weight loss aids, vitamins/minerals, amino acids, creatine and protein powders, just to name a few. All of the products claim to offer instant, magical results. Although sportsmen work hard to achieve their goals, most of them wonder if these supplements for sports can help them enjoy a competitive edge. Let’s find out some benefits of supplements for athletes.Major Causes and Treatments of Sharp Headahces
Headaches are one of the most common medical complaints; most people experience them at some point in their life. They can affect anyone regardless of age, race, and gender.10 Protein-Rich Foods for Vegetarians to Include in Their Diets
If you’re a vegetarian looking for suggestions on how to include proteins in your diet, you must often meet disbelieving stares and standard replies such as, “Why don’t you just start having eggs”? A bunch of vegetarian foods come in with high quantities of protein to help you lead a healthy lifestyle without having to look over the egg counter for assistance. Here are 10 protein-rich foods for you that can help in building muscle strength, promoting satiety and enabling weight loss Seitan Made from gluten, Seitan is…Why MSM May Be The Best Supplement You Will Ever Take!
So you may be thinking, what is MSM? MSM is an abbreviation for Methyl-Sulphonyl-Methane which is a pure, organic sulphur compound. Not surprisingly, sulphur is a major compound found in the human body (3rd largest nutrient) and is also found in many foods that we consume. There are a myriad of reasons why you need to be taking MSM, not to mention joint health and improved flexibility, as an antioxidant booster, anti-aging and energy booster (it is found in over 150 compounds in our body with Sulphur components in every part of our cells).The Foundation of a Good CrossFit Diet
Over the past few years we are constantly asked about the best supplement and diet plan for CrossFit athletes. Upon asking this question, many folks expect an extravagant answer, including the latest muscle exploding powder or fat burning potion.Taking Multivitamins – A Good Decision?
Multivitamins are a multi billion dollar industry. Are they helping us? Know how to make good decisions when it comes to effective, safe, useful supplementation.What Are the Exogenous Ketones? How To Get Ketones Supplements
You cannot deny it. The exogenous ketones are the hottest item in the market at present, particularly for people who are interested in the ketosis and ketogenic diets. The exogenous ketones generally come in various forms and very importantly are used for many different applications. For example, reducing ketosis symptoms, fat burning, improving physical performance or mental performance are certain ways that the ketones are used.Dieting, Exercise and Supplements
Diet, exercise and nutrition make up our bodies. Knowing what works and what doesn’t can always help. Although everybody’s body is different these are a few of the many supplements I’ve tried and why I think they work the most efficient.